[Gambas-user] Gambas Update & Compiler Utility (Bruce Steers)

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 19:30:51 CET 2021

Le 15/01/2021 à 18:52, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> Benoit , Is this possible with some versioning trick?
> I Imagine gambas is set up in such a way that with a few minor changes
> of a 3 to a 4 then all the files in /usr/bin become gbr4 and gbc4, etc
> and directories and everything auto adjust accordingly.
> Could it possibly be changed somewhere/somehow in our local files to 33
> (for example) and then /usr/lib/gambas33, gbr33 and gambas33.gambas etc
> would be made and run independently of the gambas3 installation?
> Or is it much more complicated so not even really worth thinking about?
>
> thank you
> BruceS

Gambas was not made so that you can installed two different minor
versions on the same system.

But you can define the GB_PATH environment variable. It must point to
the interpreter you want to use. Then all other Gambas paths are deduced
from that path.

Moreover, a Gambas executable is run by the first gbr3 program found in
the PATH environmental variable.

Let's suppose you have an installation of Gambas 3.4 in /opt/gambas/3.4.
You have to run your program that way:

$ GB_PATH=/opt/gambas/3.4/bin/gbx3 PATH=/opt/gambas/3.4/bin:$PATH
./myprogram.gambas

And it -should- work.

I have never tested.

--