[Gambas-user] Gmail Attachment Pipe

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri Feb 26 02:20:50 CET 2021

Am 26.02.21 um 01:24 schrieb Jussi Lahtinen:

>     Gmails 'AI' filter is not intelligent enough to detect if the code can
>     be executed or not.
>
> That is extremely hard to implement, when you include executable data
> (like you mentioned docx).
> Bug in some document viewer can make carefully crafted pdf executable.
> And even if you limit the filter only to known formats meant to execute
> something,
> you are likely to miss some format (new ones come and old goes) or block
> a lot of harmless files.

I think its impossible.

Someone once had a very bad idea when he/she decided to make a document-
or data viewer able to interprete and execute parts of the document. The
former very bad idea was to execute code inside a file because of the
suffix of the filename when the file was loaded/opened.

This opened pandora's box.

But back to Gmail. They arrogate to themselves something that is none of
their business. To bounce mail because of the attachment is a no-go. If
they would accept it and put it in a folder 'possible harmful' that
would be ok. But not like this.

The spam filters I use are a lot better.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur