[Gambas-user] Free as in freedom

Martin mbelmonte at belmotek.net
Tue Feb 23 11:53:55 CET 2021

> But perhaps this discussion takes place on two different levels, hence
> the confusion.
> The basic question is: can you create closed software with Gambas3?

Let's see, in this conversation entitled "free as infreedom" I try that
among those who are interested in discussing this topic, we draw some
conclusions on how to license the programs so as not to restrict the
freedom of users and at the same time be able to generate income.

If we only focus on generating income, closing part or all of a software
may seem like the solution, but is it true?

Those of us who make programs are a kind of user who like to see the
code and when someone says "I'm going to close the code" I think it is
not well received by this type of user, but everyone is free to do
whatever they want with their program, that's not what I'm interested in
discussing.

For example if you compile with GCC a C program that consists of text
code files and called standard C libraries, when it is compiled to make
the executable it has both the logic of the programmer and the logic of
the libraries, this software can be published as closed, open or free
right? that is because the compiller GCC is licenced as GPLv3+ with GCC
Runtime Library Exception, but if you use other compiller I'm not sure
about the options.

Now, a gambas software is interpreted by an interpreter, so in the
executable.gambas, which part is from the developer and which part is
from the gambas libraries or components?
If the component or library is GPL2, can you put part of it in a closed
program?

I ask these questions because I don't know precisely what happens inside
an executable.

Regards.

Martín.