[Gambas-user] Warning popup: “No terminal emulator found”

dahaiou at gmail.com dahaiou at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:53:24 CET 2021

Hello, and thanks Bruce and Benoit.

Benoit, yes, “Use terminal emulator” was checked.

Bruce: OK, I uninstalled and reinstalled WSL Ubuntu 20.04, ran the update and upgrades
and then installed qt5 and gambas3**.

However, I now ran into the same qt5 error message as before.
After a bit of digging I found that other people have had the same difficulties running
qt5 under WSL1, and a suggested solution here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63627955/cant-load-shared-library-libqt5core-so-5

I ran the command they gave there:
sudo strip --remove-section=.note.ABI-tag /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5

... and lo and behold gambas3 fired up correctly – “vanilla stable” installation this time.

(the one I got working a couple of days ago was from the daily ppa, didn’t need that this time)

Not sure what that “strip” command actually does, but apparently it is necessary for Qt5 to work in WSL1.

(Unfortunately I cannot run WSL2 because it requires hypervisor settings to be enabled in Windows
 which I refuse to do, as VirtualBox and VMWare would no longer work.)

Oh, and the issue with “No terminal emulator found” is gone as well.
So, issues solved for the time being I guess.

Ah, one last question: What are you guys using to answer the posts here, that inserts those “>” signs
at the beginning of quoted lines? I don't feel terribly motivated to put them in manually.
(I am sending this as mail from Outlook at the moment - I did change to plain text, hopefully that
gets rid of the double linefeeds.)

Cheers, Henrik