[Gambas-user] Proposed "gb.statistics" component - volunteer(s) requested

Bruce adamnt42 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 10:51:00 CET 2021

On 11/2/21 10:08 am, Benoît Minisini wrote:

> Hi, Bruce.
>
> I have extended the 'gb.gsl' component with the statistics functions in
> provides. The Float[] has been extended with a "Stat" virtual property
> so that you can issue FloatArray.Stat.StatFunc() to apply StatFunc on
> FloatArray.
>
> I notice that you have other functions in your 'gb.statistics'
> component, so I suggest adding a Gambas part to the gb.gsl component
> that could include the missing statistic functions, which could be
> rewritten on top on the existing GSL ones when it makes sense.
>
> What do you think? I'm not a statistic man, so I ask you.

Thanks for your interest Benoît.I have had a look through the gb.gsl
additions as best I can. I have about 30% of my eyesight left and reaing
C+ is very hard at best. This message is being typed by my helper, so
excuse any technical oddities.

As you indicted before, gsl does provide a lot of the stats functions.
So why not use them? Indeed.

One of the goals I had was a consistent interface, that was also
"sensible towards a casual user of the functions. So the "X" parameter
wasalways the X axis and "Y" was always the values at the X point. Of
course with single variable data sets "x" is all that is required. Frome
memory some of the gsl routines expect the data for multivariate
analysis in different orders. Nevertheless.

As regards the 'missing functions" some are very important. I don't
recall a "weighted mean" function in gsl nor do I recall the ranking
functions. Weighted means are important when doing time series analysis
and either the most recent sample is more impoetant than the least
recent. The ranking functions are not really tatistics but are very
handy to geta rank value when the sample array is deliberately not sorted.

One other observation, if stats were done entirely in Gambas then it
would be of gsl interface changes. (Not a biggy.)

[From Joanne] Wehave to go nowand do other things like cook his dinner,
we will post more next visit. I hope I have typed his dictation right!

regards
bruce [He insists i type his name with a lower case "b"?]