[Gambas-user] gitlab-ci.yml

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 23:34:05 CET 2021

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021, 22:09 Martin Belmonte, <mbelmonte at belmotek.net> wrote:

> The file lists the dependencies of each distribution.
> As you know debian always has the stable, testing and unstable branches
> but every two years the thing changes and what was testing becomes
> stable and a new testing appears, and the stable becomes old stable etc.
> etc.
> Well, if I see the history of changes of the .yml file I see that it was
> modified in repeated occasions, which denotes that it is always up to
> date, and it has the 4 versions debian old, stable, testing, unstable.
> Correct?
> At what point does make or make install use this information?
> Is this information to be used when packaging gambas3?
> If none of the above, when is it used?
> I ask all this because I'm updating the Debian Wiki page and if the .yml
> doesn't cover unsuported versions, does it make sense to cover them in
> the wiki?
> Does it make sense to put the same information in 3 different places?
>
> I see make -j$(nproc) instead just "make" or make -j (wich freeze my pc)
> but make -j$(nproc) its really fast.
>
> Sorry for the long memail :-)

The ci files are dependency files for compiling all of Gambas.
Compilation not packaging.

Changes to Gambas code commited to gitlab trigger a test compilation on all
the listed distros in the yml file.

So it is always up to date.

Benoit made a function that reads the yml file and uses its contents to
show dependencies on the wiki install page.
I did the same with PHP on a web page.

The individual wiki distro install pages are hand written and mostly last
updated by me some time ago.

BruceS