[Gambas-user] What is the correct way to reply to the list?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Thu Dec 9 13:40:08 CET 2021

Am 09.12.21 um 11:35 schrieb Gianluigi:

> - In spite it advise you to mention the minimum indispensable and to
> respond below the quote, many prefer to quote the whole discussion and
> respond before the quote.
> They probably do it for laziness or ignorance, but who knows if some do
> it to look so intelligent to know the answer even before the question.
> Following these discussions is a real torture.

I think we are a little too kind in the Gambas ML. I am also annoyed
when a lot of text is quoted and somewhere in the middle or at the end
there is a single sentence that is the actual answer of the sender.

It robs my time and the power of my brain and it is thoughtless and
therefore rude. I respond in an understandable manner and expect the
same from my partner. Who throws incomprehensible text garbage at me,
can not expect me to deal with it. I usually ignore such postings.

I had hoped to set a good example, but I guess it wasn't enough. In any
case, mailing lists are an excellent and effective way to communicate if
people follow a few rules. But the rules must be respected. And if the
people don't do that, it becomes increasingly chaotic and difficult to
understand, just as you describe it.

Anyone who uses top posting* instead of Usenet quoting** in the LKML***
or does things like described above is quickly advised not to do so. But
those who have made it into the LKML usually know how to behave properly.

Perhaps we should become a little stricter.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style
** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_quoting