[Gambas-user] Gambas Foundation?

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:02:09 CET 2021

On 12/1/21 9:01 AM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know why this thread is broken in multiple parts. I didn't read
> all the crossed mails, so forgive me if I'm saying something already said.
>
> I think I am somewhat good at coding, but I was never able to manage my administrative duties correctly without thinking about
> suicide (but maybe the French context has something to do with that). I hate bureaucratic things.
>
> So when Antonio talks about making a "Gambas fundation", it's a bit like if he asked me to lay a square egg: no idea how to do
> that, no idea what is the use of that!
>
> I agree with all Tobias' answer, it seems we are often thinking the same way.
>
> If we want to ensure the future of Gambas, we must find people that can do the same level of programming as me, not necessarily
> on 100% of Gambas, but on some part.
>
> I hide almost nothing: every code is on gitlab, except one or two projects and scripts that allows me to generate the list of
> donators and the list of contributors, to update the language metadata on the wiki. I just keep my private ssh key for accessing
> the gitlab server, the wiki/bugtracker server and the website on sourceforge that is just a front page.
>
> For example, I want the website to be remade, and hosted outside of sourceforge, and outside of the company I'm working for. But
> I just don't find the time to do that.
>
> If a volunteer appears to do the job, fine. Otherwise things will stay
> the same for a long time. What will a fundation change about that?
>
> Sometimes, a volunteer appears, do some things, and disappears in the wild nature, letting a bunch of unmaintained code. I can't
> do anything against this problem. What will a fundation change about that?
>
> A "fundation" or whatever you call that, is just the shell of the egg. The problem is filling it with people, otherwise you have
> a void bureaucratic shell that is useless.
>
> But competent programmers are very rare. Like doct... Oops I just said myself to stop talking about that!
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

The only thing I can think of that a foundation, or some 'official' organization, might do is help people (and organizations
such as these [https://opensource.com/resources/organizations] for example) feel more comfortable about donating. But, please
Benoît, do not try to lay a square egg! I can't even imagine...

What I think we do need is perhaps a bit more effective organization or direction. For example,
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/translate lists 2214 symbols needing to be documented. I would have no idea where to start with that
if I even knew what documentation content to produce.

Maybe you could give us some direction and establish priorities. A particular project could be broken down into smaller tasks
that might then be easier for volunteers to accept and accomplish. Wikipedia has a feature that allows for collaboration by
their members. All we have is this list which, I suppose, could be sufficient.

Is this idea worthy of discussion? Should it have its own thread?

Benoît, you say, "I want the website to be remade, and hosted outside of sourceforge." I assume that, since that is the one
example you gave, it has a high priority.

Okay.
How do you want it remade? What do you want it to do that it currently does not?
Is Gitlab's free static site feature insufficient? If yes, then would it be helpful to brainstorm other solutions?
(Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. We obviously have still not solved it.)

--
Lee