[Gambas-user] Gambas Foundation?

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 15:01:20 CET 2021

Le 30/11/2021 à 23:40, Antonio F.S. a écrit :
> Good evening.
>
> First of all, it is not my intention to subtract, but to add for the
> benefit of GAMBAS. As I said before, Mr. B.M. is the one who (I suppose)
> should decide about its creation. I have mentioned a GAMBAS foundation
> but, from the principle of language preservation for a better
> perspective within open source, although please excuse me if my
> ignorance of the "gear" of the GAMBAS guideline is a different way;
> maybe I got carried away by the passion of the power I perceive in this
> fabulous and masterful IDE.
>
> Best regards.
> Antonio F.S.
>

> ############
>

> Great idea. But as this is voluntary and everyone has a little time....
>
> -- Saludos Ing. Martin P Cristia
>
> ------------
>
> People can already do all of these things. Is a foundation that forms
> official...
>
> Best,
> Tobias

> .

Hi,

I don't know why this thread is broken in multiple parts. I didn't read
all the crossed mails, so forgive me if I'm saying something already said.

I think I am somewhat good at coding, but I was never able to manage my
administrative duties correctly without thinking about suicide (but
maybe the French context has something to do with that). I hate
bureaucratic things.

So when Antonio talks about making a "Gambas fundation", it's a bit like
if he asked me to lay a square egg: no idea how to do that, no idea what
is the use of that!

I agree with all Tobias' answer, it seems we are often thinking the same
way.

If we want to ensure the future of Gambas, we must find people that can
do the same level of programming as me, not necessarily on 100% of
Gambas, but on some part.

I hide almost nothing: every code is on gitlab, except one or two
projects and scripts that allows me to generate the list of donators and
the list of contributors, to update the language metadata on the wiki. I
just keep my private ssh key for accessing the gitlab server, the
wiki/bugtracker server and the website on sourceforge that is just a
front page.

For example, I want the website to be remade, and hosted outside of
sourceforge, and outside of the company I'm working for. But I just
don't find the time to do that.

If a volunteer appears to do the job, fine. Otherwise things will stay
the same for a long time. What will a fundation change about that?

Sometimes, a volunteer appears, do some things, and disappears in the
wild nature, letting a bunch of unmaintained code. I can't do anything
against this problem. What will a fundation change about that?

A "fundation" or whatever you call that, is just the shell of the egg.
The problem is filling it with people, otherwise you have a void
bureaucratic shell that is useless.

But competent programmers are very rare. Like doct... Oops I just said
myself to stop talking about that!

--
Benoît Minisini