[Gambas-user] Release of Gambas 3.16.0

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 01:54:06 CEST 2021

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 at 22:48, Benoît Minisini <g4mba5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 20/04/2021 à 23:20, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> > A cheeky note on your english my friend (hope you dont mind the
> > observation/correction)
> >   I have seen you use the word "normally" in similar context to the
> > above last sentence but it does not really make sense in English as we
> > do not use it that way.  I think the word you want is "generally".
> > "Normally" to us  means more like "usually" (most of the previous
> > times)  where as "generally" means more  "for the most part" (in general
> > cases)
> > It's harder to explain than I thought lol but trust me the word normally
> > just does not really fit that sentence.
>
> I'm afraid I don't make the difference in french between "most of the
> time", and "for the most part"...

It's the "previous" you omitted there that is the important factor i think,
Normally implies the norm , the norm is established, not so much anything
hypothetical/future.
i had a quick search and found this page...
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/french-english/normalement_2
you will notice that type #1 and #2 translations use the word "normally" in
the translated text, but the #3.  (= comme prévu) translations do not (they
all speak of future events) in English "normally" is not used that way.

> I used "normally" because it looks like "normalement" in French.
>
> https://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/normalement.html
>
> That page tells me that I can translate it as "normally", "generally",
> "naturally" and seven other words. But not "usually".
>
> Here I wanted to mean "login has been fixed unless the contrary".

yes i understood, that's how i spotted the error.
"Login should generally be fixed now."  works great

Sorry i did not wish to sound rude, it's just i have seen this little
glitch a few times and thought maybe i could help.

one day i'll try to figure out how to explain to you how you use the word
"by" in a few places in the documentation where it does not make sense but
the word "with" does. ;)

Well wishes good man :)

BruceS