[Gambas-user] Running on Raspbian

John Rose john.aaron.rose at mailbox.org
Thu Sep 3 12:38:57 CEST 2020

On 03/09/2020 08:44, user-request at lists.gambas-basic.org wrote:

> I am running 3.12.2 installed from the repository. It seems to do
> everything I want
> on a Rpi 4, 4gb.
>
> You could try a new desktop entry.
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Gambas3
> Comment=Gambas3 Integrated Development Environment
> Keywords=Gambas3
> Exec=gambas3
> Type=Application
> Icon=gambas3
> Categories=Development;
>
> Regards
> Mike
> On Thursday, 3 September 2020, 6:44:04 am AWST, Cedron Dawg
> <cedron at exede.net> wrote:
>

> The Synaptic Package Manager has version 3.12.2-1
>
> I'd like to install the latest version without having to do a huge
> compile or a lot of research.  Surely, some one has a simple answer
> for this.
>
> I have it installed, but it doesn't work quite right.  It won't start
> from the menu, I have to type 'gambas3' in a terminal window.
>
> Thanks,
> Ced

I have a Pi 3 running Raspbian Buster fully up to date. I also have
Gambas 3.12.2 (with Synaptic showing it as latest stable version)
installed as binary (i.e. without compiling). My Software Sources
(though Software & Updates invoking from menus now displays nothing
after a few seconds, though it used to work) are:
pi at RaspberryPi:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib
non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
#deb-src http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib
non-free rpi

Gambas Wiki (http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install/raspbian) says nothing
about Buster.

When I start Gambas from the menu it 'overflows' the available screen
area (I usually do work on my Pi using VNC Viewer from my Ubuntu Xenial
box to VNC Server on my Pi). Not able to attach screenshot as too large
for list's posts. It did not used to do this: I guess that there must
have been a Buster update which messed it up.

PS if you want to see screenshot, please contact me on
john.aaron.rose at mailbox.org