[Gambas-user] Mailinglist was down for a few hours

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 00:49:50 CEST 2020

On 8/31/20 1:46 PM, T Lee Davidson wrote:
>>> I don't care for the interface provided by mlmmj-webarchiver. It
>>> appears to be browseable only by date.
>> It can also display a threaded view like so:
>> http://www.libssh.org/archive/libssh/2020-07/
>>
>> That's not much more than what we have now. In principle we don't need
>> more, because it is only there to run a search engine on it.
>
> To me, that looks like less than what we have now. Mailman provides for viewing by thread, subject, author, and date. And, I
> like being able to browse the messages.

Well it appears that Hypermail is essentially dead. Even mlmmj-webarchiver, though claiming to be neither finished nor complete,
hasn't been updated in 3 years. That probably doesn't matter much for what we might need.

mlmmj-webarchiver relies heavily on MHonArc [https://www.mhonarc.org/] and, IMO, unnecessarily complicates things trying to
support Hypermail configurations (or for whatever reason).

Even without custom configuration, a bare-bones MHonArc install will create a usable, browseable web archive with one simple
command:
mhonarc -outdir /srv/www/archive_dir /var/spool/mlmmj/list_name/archive

The existing browseable archive can be updated just as easily:
mhonarc -outdir /srv/www/archive_dir -add /var/spool/mlmmj/list_name/archive

"NOTE: MHonArc skips any messages that already exist in the archive. Therefore, MHonArc can be used to rescan a mail folder to
auto-find any new messages to add."

If that works for everyone, I guess I'll just have to be happy with that. :-)

--
Lee