[Gambas-user] set $EDITOR Env

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 19:02:23 CET 2020

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020, Bruce Steers wrote:
> opening a project in latest commit tells me i need to set $EDITOR env to my
> favorite graphical text editor. some controls need it?
>
> what's all that about?

Does it perhaps say "version control" instead of "some controls"?

If yes, then this blurb from the git-commit man page provides some
explanation (git being an instance of a version control system which
is supported by the Gambas IDE and requires some sort of editor to
write commit messages):

  ENVIRONMENT AND CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
       The editor used to edit the commit log message will be chosen from the
       GIT_EDITOR environment variable, the core.editor configuration
       variable, the VISUAL environment variable, or the EDITOR environment
       variable (in that order). See git-var(1) for details.

The EDITOR variable seems to be the common denominator among programs
that do not have text editors built in but sometimes need you to edit
text. mutt uses VISUAL or EDITOR as well, as does subversion [1] for
writing commit messages.

Best,
Tobias

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.advanced.confarea.html#svn.advanced.confarea.opts.config