[Gambas-user] gb.test IDE integration

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri May 15 15:13:55 CEST 2020

Am 15.05.20 um 13:47 schrieb Bruce:

> Sorry to but in again. I spent the best part of 20 years as a "testing
> consultant", what that meant is that I was very good at breaking
> software. Nonetheless, all I really want to say id have you considered
> "alternative test plans"?

Yes, sure. You can configure a lot of different test plans, they are
called 'testsuites' in gb.test.

I've just developed a small form in which you can do the bookkeeping in
the IDE and if you have a few hundred tests up to a few thousands, you
might be able to manage about fifty to hundred plans with it easily (per
project!), from then on it might get confusing ... but now we are far
away from that.

When we had tens of thousands of tests and hundreds of plans, I think we
needed to develop a more mature organizational structure. But I am sure
one would split such a big code mess into different projects and libs so
that testing in the way it is currently done never would be the bottleneck.

> From memeory, we used to have about 3 on the
> go at any time for a piece of software, the plan for the "current
> release", the plan for the "next release" and the grrrrrrr_regression
> plan. On one occassion, I had 5 test plans on the go for the above and
> for two possible alternative release strategies.
> blah blah blah...
>
> But consider this, suppose there is a gambas developer out there that
> uses a lot of git branches and merges etc etc.

As I do it all the time :-)

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to keep "test plans" out of the .project file
> to avoid a gazillion hours of conflict resolution?
>
> just my "onions" worth

:-)

I'd not think it conflicts in any way and if, it would conflict in
'.project' as well as in '.tests'.

The only thing is, if you really have a Git merge conflict and do sth
wrong at merging ...  one the one hand you screwed up your project and
on the other hand just the tests ...

... so I would prefer to keep the test plans in '.tests' (which is the
current state) especially because I'm lazy and don't want to have to do
extra work.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--