[Gambas-user] Coming back to gb.test

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Sun May 10 16:31:51 CEST 2020

On Sun, 10 May 2020, Tobias Boege wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2020, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > > I find the idea to hide gb.test not good. Instead, I would prefer that a
> > > user could choose the gb.test component as usual and that the IDE
> > > changes its behavior when gb.test is enabled and displays the
> > > appropriate controls.
> >
> > I disagree. 'gb.test' cannot be explicit, otherwise the component will be
> > loaded when not testing, and I don't want the project to be polluted by
> > something unneeded.
> >

> The problem Christof is describing is that gb.test is not only for
> organizing and running tests in the project being tested. It plays
> a double role containing also the TestHarness-related stuff which
> would be used, for example, by the IDE to run another project under
> test mode and parse the TAP it emits into a summary of the test.
>
> So, when a project is being tested (or a test written in the IDE),
> gb.test needs to be automatically loaded and otherwise not for the
> reason you state. But there are also certain projects which might
> legitimately load gb.test to get at the TAP parsing functionality,
> not the test running functionality.

[ Sorry, I was distracted and didn't really finish that thought
  before hitting "send". ]

Therefore, maybe gb.test should:

  - not be hidden,
  - used directly by almost *no* project,
  - mostly autoloaded in test mode or for autocompletion only.

I think of it as: gb.test is the "Gambas testing framework component".
Unless you are directly interacting with the testing framework, don't
use the component.

Regards,
Tobias