[Gambas-user] Coming back to gb.test

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Sun May 10 16:19:24 CEST 2020

On Sun, 10 May 2020, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> > I find the idea to hide gb.test not good. Instead, I would prefer that a
> > user could choose the gb.test component as usual and that the IDE
> > changes its behavior when gb.test is enabled and displays the
> > appropriate controls.
>
> I disagree. 'gb.test' cannot be explicit, otherwise the component will be
> loaded when not testing, and I don't want the project to be polluted by
> something unneeded.

The problem Christof is describing is that gb.test is not only for
organizing and running tests in the project being tested. It plays
a double role containing also the TestHarness-related stuff which
would be used, for example, by the IDE to run another project under
test mode and parse the TAP it emits into a summary of the test.

So, when a project is being tested (or a test written in the IDE),
gb.test needs to be automatically loaded and otherwise not for the
reason you state. But there are also certain projects which might
legitimately load gb.test to get at the TAP parsing functionality,
not the test running functionality.

Regards,
Tobias