[Gambas-user] Crontab and Gambas executable

Gianluigi bagonergi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 10:21:45 CET 2020

Il giorno mar 22 dic 2020 alle ore 00:01 T Lee Davidson <
t.lee.davidson at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> If you are using `crontab -e`, then you are not editing /etc/crontab. You
> are editing the crontab for the user that executes
> that command. You can check what is in your per-user crontab with `crontab
> -l`. User crontabs should be found in
> /var/spool/crontab or /var/spool/cron/tab. User crontabs do not have a
> 'user' field, /etc/crontab does.
>
> To check if the command is actually being run, you can check the
> /var/log/messages file or append something like
> '>/tmp/debug.out 2>&1' to the end of your crontab line.

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Cron is not suitable for launching GUI, but you could do this if you wanted
to:

(run gedit every 5 minutes ;-))
* / 5 * * * * env DISPLAY =: 0 gedit

I decided to give up also because cron is about to be abandoned in favor of
Systemd, and also it was not my problem I do not administer any system, but
if I have a similar problem and I cannot solve it, do not doubt that I will
not come here to to ask :-)

Regards
Gianluigi