[Gambas-user] Mailinglist was down for a few hours

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Aug 30 11:42:25 CEST 2020

Hi,

yesterday the ML went down because of an upgrade of the server to Debian
Buster by Hostsharing and the change from 32 to 64bit system. I fetched
new mailman sources, compiled and installed it and now it seems to run
as before.

This is the last Debian version which ships Python 2.7 which is needed
by Mailman2. We have to search for a new mailinglist software to run our
lists in future.

Mailman 3 is not an option, IMO, it's way too oversized for that couple
of lists we have here. It needs a dedicated server while Mailman2 runs
easily with cronjobs in the homedir of an user.

I would prefer this alternative:
http://mlmmj.org/

It follows the unix philosophy "one job, one tool" and is packaged by
Debian. But we would have to hack a small website for new users to
subscribe to our lists like that:

Thanks to the folks at Hostsharing Gambas3 runs on every Hostsharing server:

gbs00-lists at h08 ~ » gbx3 -V
3.12.2

So we could create a webinterface for mlmmj with Gambas webpages! We
could also make it public. This would not only help us but also other
small communities. Also we would have to build a new web archive.

I think we have about two years time for this.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur