[Gambas-user] Distributed version control with Git in the IDE

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Oct 27 20:19:23 CET 2019

Am 27.10.19 um 18:21 schrieb Hans Lehmann:

> In the menu of the IDE you will find the item 'Project> Put under
> version control>With Git'. That's why I read the book Git - Distributed
> version control for code and documents (http://gitbu.ch) - extensively
> and followed the examples presented there. But it doesn't help me much,
> because I can't find any documentation about *internal* version control
> in the IDE. A shortcoming you come across again and again at Gambas -
> and it just doesn't seem to bother the developers! Our new feature -
> Your problem: Do something with it.
>
> Where is there documentation for *internal* version control in the IDE?
> What does the error message mean: Please enter the journal ?
> Why is the field in the project properties empty for version control?

There is no "internal" version control in the IDE. If the project you
work on is already versioned by Git, the IDE can be used to pull, commit
and push. But if there is a merge conflict or you want to use other Git
commands like "rebase" you still have to use the commandline.

So first you have to start with Git in the terminal as you can read it
in usual Git tutorials like http://gitbu.ch with something like:

git init
git add -A
git commit -m "Start Versionierung Project $xyz"

(untested) first.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--