[Gambas-user] Better use of prefixes

Cedron Dawg cedron at exede.net
Sun Mar 17 19:22:32 CET 2019

I'm sorry Lee.

I see it the opposite.  I've meticulously avoided saying "it's because I like it", or "I'm used to it, you would be too if you adopted it", and tried to present attributes such as "more natural language like", or "easier for newbies", or "more informative".

The vast majority of responses are of a "we've done it this way all along" or "it's easier for me because that's how I learned it."  I.e. preferences rather than rationales.  The exception is Jussi, and the others, who claim that longer words clutter the code and impair readability for them, that having to learn abbreviations should be expected to be part of the learning curve.

"Appealing to the crowd", "Appealing to Authority", "Ad hominem", and a few more have all come into play.  I didn't mean the "you" to imply everybody here, just those employing these tactics.

So yeah, I feel comfortable in saying the debating/discussion skills of those could use some practice.  Consider that, as well as this email, condescending if you wish.  I prefer the term blunt.

I'm drawing no conclusions about those who don't participate.  I do hope it is stimulating some considerations though.