[Gambas-user] gb.joystick (and Where is my gbh3?)

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:16:26 CET 2019

Le 25/02/2019 à 16:08, Cedron Dawg a écrit :
> I'm sorry.  I just checked my email preferences and could not find a
> way to have it introduce the ">" lines.  I guess I should top post
> from now on.
>
> [...snip...]
>
> Well, the in the Joystick model, you have to call the IOCTLs
> yourself.  In the evdev model, it is hidden from you.  So, in order
> to do it in Gambas, the functionality of evdev would in essence have
> to be replicated.

I don't know how evdev works. But it's usually opening a device file,
ioctl() on it, watching it. Opening and watching is already implemented
in Gambas. But not ioctl() that are device-specific.

Doing ioctl() in Gambas will anyway be boring, as you have to define all
the ioctl specific constants by hand.

But maybe a program could be written that would parse the kernel headers
to generate the constant definitions in Gambas...

> Can I assume you have a strong preference for components to be
> written in Gambas?

No, because it is usually harder with Gambas to deal with C structures
used by system calls. I told that only for people who are afraid to make
a component in C following the badly documented Gambas interpreter
interface.

--
Benoît Minisini