[Gambas-user] Close the Application Stream

james james at lixce.com
Thu Dec 12 04:42:54 CET 2019

I'm writing a library to provide GUI spell checking to my programs and a stand alone GUI spell checker using aspell.  To provide some backward compatibility I want to be able to pass words this way:

echo wrld | lixce-aspell -a (the way aspell works on the command line)

I can accomplish this using:

Public Sub Application_Read()
  Dim sLine As String
  Read #Last, sLine, -256
  Print "Found this on stdIn: " & Trim$(sLine)
  Close #Last
End

This works fine when I use the command line above.

THE PROBLEM IS: I cannot figure out how to close the Application Stream when I start the program WITHOUT pipeing anything to it.

I have tried:

Close #Application 'Result: "bad use of virtual class"
Close #Last 'Result: "Null Object"
Close Application_Read 'Result: "Wanted Stream, got function"
Application_Read() 'Result "Null Object"

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards, -j