[Gambas-user] Simplest way to open a URL in a browser

Bruce adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 13:20:01 CEST 2019

On 18/8/19 8:00 pm, Bruce wrote:
> (Probably anonther dumb one)
>
> Let's say I have a URL displayed in a URLLabel control. What is the
> simplest way to implement open that URL in the user's preferred web
> browser? Say with a single click.
>
> Only a few requirements:
> * desktop independent (I don't know whether they have a "default
> browser" or whatever
> * open the browser in a new window (independent of the desktop)
> * independent of the GUI involved in the current gambas project (???)
> * get a fairly clear indication of anything that (may or does) go wrong.
>
> Not too hard is it? So how come I can't do it? ;-( (Age may be a factor).
>
> tia
> bruce

OK, I'd better rephrase it.
Yet again.

I am generally sick to death of horse auctions. Sold it, blah blah.
After some days of generally watching rain, cleaning the residence out
of various outdated hardware and ... darning socks etc etc, I found that
there is no central website that produces a consolidated view of all the
wines that are available in this lovely area of South Australia ...

So methinketh (idiotically at best) "all these wineries, outlets and
retailers have websites" SO! It should be a "simple" matter to munge the
horse auction system into a "I want good wine, NOW!" system.

haha!

So far we have 18 wineries, 6 wholesales and (unbeknowst to them) a few
retailers linked up (in the "business" sense) to use their internet
supplied web data. Some pretty immature projects have ensued - looks
generally possible.

But!
In a form that illustrates a particular wine, vintage, etc etc there is
a (actually several) URLlabel controls that display the web link to some
more and exciting information available on the intertubes. BUT when I
click on it .... all of a sudden .... nothing happens!

Or at least, it works for me. But when she who must be obeyed uses the
program executable and clicks on the control, (sigh), nothing happens :-(

This is begining to impinge on our "social relationships" so to speak.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH