[Gambas-user] External library location

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Thu Sep 6 07:46:53 CEST 2018

Am 05.09.2018 um 14:39 schrieb Jussi Lahtinen:
> Sure, for temporary tests /tmp is OK. My point was, if you cannot
> install executables in lib folder, then it's the .local folder.
> Btw it's not only Debian manual, but with quick googling also ArchWiki
> and Red Hat STIG (Security Technical Implementation Guide).
> There are also a lot of bug reports from putting executables in /tmp.

ACK. /tmp is a bad place for libs. Its name alone says it. It is
temporary, and can be even used from other programs as well and in
secure environments there should be no executables allowed.

For a system-wide installation aside of the distribution I would prefer

/usr/local/(share|lib)/$vendorname/

or

/usr/(share|lib)/$vendorname/
(this is what I use for my programs)