[Gambas-user] Some quotes and rant

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 15:48:57 CEST 2018

Le 04/09/2018 à 15:37, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
> Am 04.09.2018 um 11:50 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
>> Linux policy : "Never break the user space API!"
>>
>> GTK+3 policy: "Always try to break the API as much as possible at each
>> minor version so that nobody can write a GTK+ program that behaves
>> correctly during more than one month. And if you can implement a feature
>> with two levels of indirection, do that with ten levels, to make
>> external developers unable to understand how things work, and to avoid
>> any possibility of having a fast GUI".
>
> Great rant, very funny if it wasn't so disastrous.
>
> Is the GTK port of Gambas very important? At the beginning I tried GTK
> one time and then switched to QT. Never looked back.
>

> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

I'm complaining because I just have spent hours to fix the gb.gtk3
component, mainly the hacks that allows controls to have any size.

GTK+ developers have decided to change their drawing model.

OK, fine.

But instead on doing that in a major version (GTK+ 4 for example), they
started to do that incrementally in GTK+3, breaking things at almost
each minor versions.

For example, the widget themes configuration files had to be rewritten
between GTK+ 3.18 and GTK+ 3.20.

And look at the size of that page:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/GTK%2B_3_issues

I don't say Gambas is perfect about backward-compatibility, but I hope I
will keep being polite the day I meet a GTK+ developer...

Benoît Minisini