[Gambas-user] Integrate unittest component to Gambas

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at gmail.com
Fri May 18 04:34:33 CEST 2018

Le 16/05/2018 à 08:00, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
> Am 16.05.2018 um 04:34 schrieb Adrien Prokopowicz:
>
>>> Assert.Something is much faster and easier to write while coding, you
>>> can write
>>>
>>> As<Tab>.So<Tab>
>>>
>>> Instead of
>>>
>>> AssertSo<Tab>
>>
>> I didn't think of that, but that's true.
>> Having all assertion types inside a single, dedicated class/module helps
>> discoverablility quite a bit as well, since you can just write
>> Assert.<Tab> and it presents you all the possible assertion tools you
>> may want.
>
> This is also what I was thinking about.
>
>>> Sorry, Tobi and Adrien, I do not have really much time, we are creating
>>> a building and there is much work to do here.
>>
>> No worries. It's the advantage of having several people on a same
>> project, they can be busy and the projet is still going. :-)
>
> Yes, this is great! I am not very familiar with work in team as I mostly
> code alone. So I'm looking forward to the positive surprises that may
> come if others throw their brain in. :-)
>
>>> I think we first should build a main repo for it.
>>
>> I agree, but first I think Tobias should first commit the changes he
>> talked about (even if it isn't finished or functional), that way we're
>> all on the same page and no work will be lost. :-)
>
> Yes.
>
>> When that's done, I could create a new separate repository on the Gambas
>> organization for us to make our experiments before merging it in the
>> main repository. I can then start to clean up the codebase a bit, mainly
>> by removing the GUI parts (which will end up in the IDE rather than the
>> component), and putting most of the logic into a separate "gbprove3"
>> executable as Tobias suggested (the name is still open to discussion
>> though).
>
> If you look at my develop branch here:
>
> https://github.com/Deganius/gb.deg.unittest/tree/develop
>
> There I did part of that as Benoît suggested. I removed GUI, created a
> Unittest class from that testclasses can inherit from. Just to mention.
>
> But play around ... :-)

Yet another branch that I missed, duh. Guess I'll have some merging to
do. :-)

In the meantime, I've configured GitLab's CI system to check Gambas
builds on a few distributions (I'll add more later, the wiki also needs
to be updated). The MR is here[0], I'm just waiting on Benoît's agreement.

Not only will it help with the current build issues shenenigans (no need
to wait for everybody to try building on their own system to make a new
release), but it will also provide a way to automatically run all tests
after each commits.

Even though the CI setup is very basic right now, it already revealed
that older Debian systems can't build Gambas right now since the Poppler
fixes. Hopefully now that CI is here there won't be too many regressions
on that front!

--
Adrien Prokopowicz