[Gambas-user] In general, reason for using gb.qt5

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 14:58:27 CET 2018

Le 21/02/2018 à 09:00, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> Maybe a stupid question? My programs still have gb.qt4 and gb.qt4.ext as
> components as up to now they have partly run on older systems.
>
> On a newer system based on qt5, what would be the advantage to use
> gb.qt5 and gb.qt5.ext instead? And are there drawbacks?
>
> A quick look showed that some of the elements scale there letters
> somewhat wider, i. e. lists for instance become a bit longer, and the
> overall look-and-feel adapts somewhat better to the theme on my KDE
> desktop. Have you found any glitches?
>
> Thanks for your insight!
>
> Rolf

The size of the GUI elements is just related to the font size, not the
toolkit by itself. You have to configure the font used by qt5 to be the
same that the one used by qt4.

If this is the case, it's true that the same font size is not displayed
identically between both toolkits, but the difference should not be
important.

The other difference is in the webkit component, which is obviously not
the same. Moreover, the qt4 webkit component has been replaced in qt5 by
a other one with less feature. The qt5 webkit component is still there,
but deprecated.

qt5 uses libxcb instead of libX11 to communicate with the X server.

qt5 buffers every drawing. It's smoother on a local desktop, but you
will suffer if you use a distant X11 connection.

This list is not exhaustive!

--
Benoît Minisini