[Gambas-user] "New" gambas-basic.org website

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Thu Feb 15 07:57:06 CET 2018

Am 15.02.2018 um 05:46 schrieb Adrien Prokopowicz:

>> Are you able to tell the traffic of gambaswiki.org?
>
> I do not have this data (I don't have access to the machine behind
> gambaswiki.org), but maybe Benoît has it ?

I asked because I guess that gambaswiki.org has the most traffic.

>> The server has 4 CPU and 10 GB Ram:
> That should be plenty enough. ;-)

Yes for sure. This server is shared with other packets, we are just one
of some other so called web-packets, that are on this server. But the
guys at Hostsharing always deploy the packets to the servers so that the
servers loads are quite equally and response is always fine. I know that
because I have my firm's website there and I am constantly monitoring it.

But for sure we can do our own thing to make it fast, by keeping the
websites static as much as possible.

> As a point of reference, the server I'm hosting the playground on has 2
> vCPU (from an Intel Atom C2750 @ 2.40GHz) and 2GB of ram, and it takes
> around 150 requests per second to max both CPU cores (and the NGINX
> config is definitely not optimized), with the RAM usage staying at
> around 250MB.

Such small servers are very nice, they do not need much energy, I like that.

>>> Let's encrypt is the best. I set it up on pretty much every single
>>> project of mine (including the Gambas Playground), and it's quite
>>> awesome! :-)
>>
>> It becomes ultra mightiy then ... I am not really sure if I like that at
>> all ...
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about here ?

As I read, now 8 percent of the websites with https have LE certs, which
last no longer than 3 months. What if LE has a major breakdown? Or an
ugly hack?

But yes, I like LE too ... as a good answer to Edward Snowdens disclosure.

> As a side note : I thought the website's hosting was the only
> SourceForge service which we didn't have trouble with.
> Now, guess who has unannounced maintenance downtime and isn't able to
> set up a reverse proxy ? :-P (see attached screenshot)

You can only estimate the quality of a website if you measure it.

> I can't wait until we're out of SourceForge …

This should be planned well, because there are a lot of links going to
SF. Maybe we should keep something like a stub website there as long as
possible.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--