[Gambas-user] "New" gambas-basic.org website

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sat Feb 10 09:41:34 CET 2018

Hi,

Am 10.02.2018 um 06:44 schrieb Adrien Prokopowicz:

>> As I said to Benoît earlier, if we put the website generator on its
>> dedicated repository, we can use the GitLab Pages service[0] to host it,
>> which has two advantages :
>>
>> - GitLab handles all the traffic for the website (for free), so we won't
>> have any infrastructure issues for whatever load the website might
>> generate.

But has the downside that we rely to the existence and friendlyness of
another firm – with the danger of beeing in the same situation like with
SF in a couple of years. Ok ... traffic can be high, if a lot of people
suddenly discover the special qualities of Gambas. But normally it
increases step by step. And I do not think the website creates really
much traffic.

Can these pages been delivered as www.gambas-basic.org?

>> The only constraint is that GitLab Pages only works with processes that
>> generate static HTML/CSS/JS files from the repository on each update
>> (a.k.a. a Static Site Generator), but this is exactly what the
>> MakeWebSite process is, so there should be no problem. :-)

Static is cool :-) – unhackable.

> I've used a bit of fancy Git magic (thanks git filter-branch !) to
> extract the MakeWebSite directory to a new repository, along with its
> entire history.
>
> I've put it on my account for now[0], but if Benoît agrees I'll move it
> back to the gambas organization. :-)

It is already there :-) ... in the repo :-) ... in my repo :-)

> I've noticed there is some code that is specific to Benoît's file
> system, so right now I'm working on making this code into a portable
> Static Site Generator (i.e. a script that anyone can run without issues,
> and which simply outputs the static files in a given directory).

Like Hugo and such?

> As a side note, I found the MakeWebSite project contains both of
> Benoît's gimmicks : commenting out old stuff instead of removing it, and
> writing a bunch of fancy parsers. ;-)

Fantastic! :-)

I recently found a password  in the sources ... !°"§$%-/

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur