[Gambas-user] "New" gambas-basic.org website

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 06:44:36 CET 2018

Le 09/02/2018 à 20:34, Adrien Prokopowicz a écrit :
> Le 09/02/2018 à 16:55, Christof Thalhofer a écrit :
>> Am 09.02.2018 um 16:12 schrieb Adrien Prokopowicz:
>>
>>> GitLab actually generates these for us :
>>> https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas/repository/v3.10.0/archive.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> This is the archive corresponding to the v3.10.0 tag on the repository,
>>> but you can replace the 'v3.10.0' in the URL with any tag, branch or
>>> commit ID to get it as a downloadable archive (you can also get it as a
>>> .zip, .tar.gz or .tar archive by just changing the extension).
>>>
>>> For instance you can find the archive for the (current) master branch
>>> here :
>>> https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas/repository/master/archive.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> You'll find that the 'master' archive is much less bloated than the
>>> 'v3.10.0' one, since it has Benoît's recent cleanups. :-)
>>
>> Ok, thank you! One further step to "Adios SF!" :-)
>>
>> I hope, there will be a functional gambas-basic.org in near future.
>> If there is interest, I would like to help a bit to build it up.
>>

> Definitely ! If I'm not mistaken, the Gambas Website is the only thing
> left on SourceForge, so it would be great to have it finally dealt with.
> :-)
>
> (And to be honest, having a website on sourceforge.net definitely gives
> the project a poor reputation, so I'll be glad to get rid of it !)
>
> As I said to Benoît earlier, if we put the website generator on its
> dedicated repository, we can use the GitLab Pages service[0] to host it,
> which has two advantages :
>
> - GitLab handles all the traffic for the website (for free), so we won't
> have any infrastructure issues for whatever load the website might
> generate.
> - Since GitLab Pages is repository-based, there is no need for any kind
> of deployment mechanism, other than a push on the master branch (a push
> triggers the GitLab CI mechanism, which runs the Website Generator).
> That way the repository is guaranteed to reflect the Website's code and
> state, and anyone can contribute to it just like a normal repository
> (Pull Requests, etc.)
>
> The only constraint is that GitLab Pages only works with processes that
> generate static HTML/CSS/JS files from the repository on each update
> (a.k.a. a Static Site Generator), but this is exactly what the
> MakeWebSite process is, so there should be no problem. :-)
>
> Of course GitLab can't run Gambas process directly, but it can run
> anything through Docker, and I already have a base Docker image ready
> that I'm using for the Gambas Playground here[1], so the only thing we
> would have to do is to make the repository, write the GitLab config file
> and we're good to go. :-)
>
> [0] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/pages/introduction.html
> [1] https://gitlab.com/prokopyl/gambas-docker/container_registry

(I'm making a new thread here, since this discussion became quite
unrelated to the IDE's Git integration!)

I've used a bit of fancy Git magic (thanks git filter-branch !) to
extract the MakeWebSite directory to a new repository, along with its
entire history.

I've put it on my account for now[0], but if Benoît agrees I'll move it
back to the gambas organization. :-)

I've noticed there is some code that is specific to Benoît's file
system, so right now I'm working on making this code into a portable
Static Site Generator (i.e. a script that anyone can run without issues,
and which simply outputs the static files in a given directory).

As a side note, I found the MakeWebSite project contains both of
Benoît's gimmicks : commenting out old stuff instead of removing it, and
writing a bunch of fancy parsers. ;-)

[0] https://gitlab.com/prokopyl/gambas.gitlab.io

--
Adrien Prokopowicz