[Gambas-user] IDE Git Magic ....

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri Feb 9 01:47:24 CET 2018

Am 08.02.2018 um 23:08 schrieb Benoît Minisini:

> Let's first release the 3.11 version, and I will study the question.

But please with a central killswitch for the current Git magic. Because
instead I cannot work with it. I still have to work with 3.9.2.

> I need help:
>
> - How to make a 3.11 tag in the git repository.

"Annotated Tags" in
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging

You checkout a special state of the repo, for example the state at the
commit "Make JSON.Decode() faster":

cd gambas
git checkout b520218ce45881c9bf09af3d3ad9740d209619eb

Now you can tag it:
git tag -a v3.11.0 -m "Version v3.11.0"

And then you do a:

git push

to push it to Gitlab. Afterwards do

git checkout master

to get to the top of all commits.

> - How to generate a source code archive from gitlab.

Why do you want to do that? Sorry for my silly question.

The better way would be to clone the repo and check out a special branch
or tag. Then compile and install it. In times of Git an archive is not
needed any more.

> If I use the download link provided by gitlab, I have an huge archive
> that includes too many useless things. Moreover, the 3.10 tag has, for
> any reason, a trunk sub-directory that seems to include the SVN
> repository! (the 3.10 bzip2 archive is 65 Mo, whereas the 3.9.2 is 33 Mo).

You can get rid of things like that trunk dir, but changing the history
of the Git repo is not so easy. I did this some time ago. But I think
the repo will not be a lot smaller, if you delete that trunk dir. But it
can lead to problems with others' repos, if you push.

My advice: Forget about it.

Your .git dir is much larger than SVN was because you have the
*complete* repo on your computer, with all states ever!

I have the same here. 100 MB is not a big problem. With Git this repo is
spread all over the world on a lot of computers. Yours, mine, others',
this is the best backup ever!

One should only avoid binaries in it. They would blow it up without need.

> I would have been cool if I was able to provide a gitlab url for
> downloading the source. If I can't, I have to do as before, make it "by
> hand", and uploading to sourceforge., making getting rid of sf more
> difficult.

Piccoro did this already. It's anywhere in gambaswiki.
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/git

git clone -b stable --single-branch https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas.git

But I dont like such things (just fetching one branch), because I always
clone a repo one time and then fetch differences and checkout the branch
I need.

> I will try to create another repository, and to move there the projects
> that are not useful to build Gambas, and that make the source archive huge.

I would not do that. The repo is ok. It is the history of all.

If you made a mistake ... no problem. The complete repo is on my
computer too... and on others'

:-)

Btw. Your commit messages are too long. Look at my screenshot.
Convention is 80 characters. If you have more things to say, then do 2 x
Return and then write all you want.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--