[Gambas-user] IDE Git Magic ....

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 23:32:39 CET 2018

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Let's first release the 3.11 version, and I will study the question.
>
> I need help:
>
> - How to make a 3.11 tag in the git repository.
>
> - How to generate a source code archive from gitlab.
>
> The old way for generating the source code archive was running the "make
> dist-bz2" command from my machine, which has a hack for allowing symbolic
> links in the generated archive.
>
> If I use the download link provided by gitlab, I have an huge archive that
> includes too many useless things. Moreover, the 3.10 tag has, for any
> reason, a trunk sub-directory that seems to include the SVN repository! (the
> 3.10 bzip2 archive is 65 Mo, whereas the 3.9.2 is 33 Mo).
>
> I would have been cool if I was able to provide a gitlab url for downloading
> the source. If I can't, I have to do as before, make it "by hand", and
> uploading to sourceforge., making getting rid of sf more difficult.
>
> I will try to create another repository, and to move there the projects that
> are not useful to build Gambas, and that make the source archive huge.

Cut out the middleman (gitlab). To make a new tag, use

  $ git tag v3.11.0 <3.11.0-establishing commit>

I suppose you have to to push to gitlab then to make it available to others.
Making an archive is as you would hope:

  $ git archive --format tar v3.11.0 | bzip2 >gambas-3.11.0.tar.bz2

The archive will contain the snapshot of the source tree at the v3.11.0
tag, i.e. the commit you gave above. It won't include any git information,
e.g. I get a nice 33 MiB archive out of using the above with v3.9.0.
Symbolic links seem to be preserved without me doing anything about it.
You probably want to use the --prefix option to `git archive` as well.

Regards,
Tobi