[Gambas-user] Still having problems with Farm's Downloads

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:43:24 CEST 2018

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, PICCORO McKAY Lenz wrote:
> i'm very curious of the problem.. could you make a chroot from a live disk
> into your instalations and check?
>
> i mean, in your machine of the problem:
>
> 1) download a real linux like debian, but live disk
> 2) boot and when ready install gambas from debian (jessie has 3.5 so you
> must download strecht for 3.9)
> 3) try to use gambas farm, we will assume will work ok, so then:
> 4) make a chroot to your hard disk when the windos-mint are installed
> 5 export the x11 environment
> 6) run the xorg/session and the start gambas  ide from your
> disk/instalation  disk
> 7) tryit again

What is this supposed to accomplish? Confirm that Debian has sha256sum,
but the extra long way by using some code inside a specific X11 application?

Maybe before doing all that stuff, check in a terminal in your Mint if

  $ echo -n | /usr/bin/sha256sum
  e3b0c44298fc1c149afbf4c8996fb92427ae41e4649b934ca495991b7852b855  -

produces the expected output in the second line. If it does, sha256sum
is not the problem. As far as I can see, Linux Mint 19 gets coreutils
from Ubuntu Bionic [1], which does include /usr/bin/sha256sum [2].
You can also try

  $ dpkg-query -L coreutils | grep 'sha[0-9]'

to see a list of 'sha...' stuff that got installed from coreutils,
and where it is exactly, although it should really be in /usr/bin.

The "Cannot compute checksum" error message can be caused by a missing
`sha256sum` utility but also by sha256sum not being able to read the
file it is instructed to hash, due to, let's say, an unhandled download
failure earlier, or by any other error that happens under the jurisdiction
of that one Catch block in the IDE. (Any other error would be weird,
admittedly, like a changing output format for sha256sum.)

Regards,
Tobi

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint_version_history
[2] https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/amd64/coreutils/filelist

PS: Usual disclaimer, I'm not familiar with dpkg and its various front-ends
so there might be some research necessary to fix commands I suggest.