[Gambas-user] Integrate unittest component to Gambas

Tobias Boege taboege at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:12:54 CEST 2018

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
> The GUI itself is the container for its data ... awful ... in the
> current state I think it is useless for the idea of letting the tests
> run separately and presenting the data in different ways (console/GUI)
> afterwards.
>
> So I would focus to just running the tests (which works good) and output
> results to the console like it is done via TAP
>
> https://testanything.org/tap-specification.html
>
> Tap seems to be a common format for unittest output. If we are done we
> can join this illustrious list:
>
> https://testanything.org/producers.html
>
> Tap can be parsed by other programs, one can then even use Jenkins to
> test programs.
>
> All in all this is a major rewrite, I cannot do this within two weeks as
> I currently do not have the time. So we should focus on a later version
> of Gambas.

As a perl fan, I am 100% in favour of using TAP. I forked your repository
and started with the rewrite [1]. This is a multistage process:

  [X] Write low-level TAP printer and parser.
  [ ] Make corresponding higher-level interfaces akin to Test::More and
      Test::Harness in perl, but Gambas-y.
  [ ] Port the rest of the component to the TAP classes.
  [ ] Of course, write tests. This should include interfacing the component
      with other TAP producers and consumers.

Comments welcome. If you want to take any of the above tasks yourself,
we'll have to coordinate it.

Regards,
Tobi

[1] https://github.com/taboege/gb.deg.unittest/tree/TAP