[Gambas-user] Integrate unittest component to Gambas

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sun Apr 22 12:03:26 CEST 2018

Am 22.04.2018 um 00:26 schrieb Benoît Minisini:

> I'd like to release gambas 3.11 now for two months, but each time
> someone (sometimes it's me) finds an annoying bug I have to fix!

What is life without bugs? Impossible!

;-)

> I can wait a week or two, and if you are not in a hurry, the component
> can be put in the next version. The component has not to be perfect, but
> its public interface must be stabilized, so that you have only bugs to fix.

I am not in a hurry.

I just investigated some time to understand the GUI, it is highly
interwoven with the testing system itself, as it is updated on the fly
via events while the tests are running.

The GUI itself is the container for its data ... awful ... in the
current state I think it is useless for the idea of letting the tests
run separately and presenting the data in different ways (console/GUI)
afterwards.

So I would focus to just running the tests (which works good) and output
results to the console like it is done via TAP

https://testanything.org/tap-specification.html

Tap seems to be a common format for unittest output. If we are done we
can join this illustrious list:

https://testanything.org/producers.html

Tap can be parsed by other programs, one can then even use Jenkins to
test programs.

All in all this is a major rewrite, I cannot do this within two weeks as
I currently do not have the time. So we should focus on a later version
of Gambas.

We should keep in mind that the unittest, if done by the interpreter
initiated via commandline switch should be able to

execute just a single testcontainer
execute just one test in a testcontainer

or at minimum one can do a Unittest.Run($testcontainer, $singletest)
inside a Testmodule while developing by hitting <F5>.

Have a nice sunday!

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--