[Gambas-user] Fwd: [Gambas Bug Tracker] Bug #1161: Class Editor is Locked

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Tue Sep 5 19:42:49 CEST 2017

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017, Fernando Cabral wrote:

> > Some more questions / things to try:
> >
> > 1) Copy the project folder elsewhere in your home directory, but not in
> > the dropbox tree.  Try to edit.
> > 2) In the copied folder, run chmod --recursive a+w *.  Try to edit.
> > 3) Try creating a new module, class or form.  Try this in both the copied
> > folder and the original.  Try to add code and edit the new module etc.
> > 4) Can the problems be related to dropbox.
> >
> > I have already tried this all in various combinations. Some even more
> radical, like
> making every file and directory 777. I've created a user named gambas and
> everything completely open.
>
> Now, I know it has to do with permissions because if I run "sudo gambas3"
> it will work!
> Now, if I set the user id bit (chmod u+s gambas3, for instance), it does
> not work.
>
> How come?

I'm as puzzled by this issue as you are, but about this specific question:
Becoming root opens gates other than those pertaining to file permissions.
For example, you can access all devices freely and, as with any other user,
switching to root makes programs read another set of configuration files.

If anything, your experiments indicate that it is /not/ a file permission
issue. You tried it with a+rwx, so unless file permissions are impossibly
buggy or there are some surrounding problems like, I don't know, ACLs
(which you confirmed are not) or weird mount options, we can assume it's
not the permissions. Plus, if the file was non-writable, the IDE would tell
you that by appending "[read-only]" to the file name in the tab caption.
Only then the editor would be locked and its contents non-editable. Other-
wise nothing can prevent the IDE from editing a copy of the source code in
a graphical editor.

To me it sounds more plausible that your input isn't handled correctly
somewhere in the long chain of actors that touch the input to a Gambas
process. As for the X11 input method, I learned what an input method in
general is from Wikipedia. I don't know what information exactly determines
an X11 input method, but the output of

  $ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10

is probably relevant as this is about keyboard input. Other than that,
I found https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input

Regards,
Tobi