[Gambas-user] OH NO - not this ? again...

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Sep 2 16:55:24 CEST 2017

Le 02/09/2017 à 16:10, T Lee Davidson a écrit :
> On 09/02/2017 08:03 AM, Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user wrote:
>> Le 02/09/2017 à 11:35, Fernando Cabral a écrit :
>>> Myself? I'd be benefited with a comprehensive answer to this quest.
>>> To this
>>> moment I have not been able to create a package that, by itself,
>>> would work
>>> in a new machine. Up to now, the solution I have found is no solution at
>>> all: I install the whole gambas package and then copy the source
>>> directory.
>>>
>>> It would be great to know what is the right thing to do.
>>>
>>> - fernando

>> Packaging on Linux is based on two things:
>>
>> 1) A package of your project, made by the IDE.
>>
>> 2) The binary packages of the runtime, managed by your Linux
>> distribution, or by Sebastián Kulesz on launchpad for Ubuntu.
>>
>> Every interpreted language works this way.
>>
>> Just make a package, and if you have bugs or problem, report them.
>> That way, we can make 1) working correctly.
>>
>> As for 2), this is a big deal.
>>
>> Sebastián Kulesz make all the needed packages many versions of Ubuntu.
>> As for other distributions, it relies on voluntaries or companies to
>> deliver the binary Gambas packages regularly.
>>
>> - Debian packages are of course out of date, unless on unstable.
>> - RedHat (and its cousins) packages seems to be up to date.
>> - OpenSuSE used to be unable to package Gambas, but now it seems to be
>> fixed
>> - ArchLinux seems to be ok afaik.
>> - Gentoo has no packages
>> - ...
>>
>> It depends on your distribution, and you have to report any problem or
>> better fill the wiki with all the information you gather.
>>
>> By the way, the TerminalView control should be ok now in the
>> development version.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Just for clarity, exactly which run-time packages need to be
> pre-installed for a project installation package to install relatively
> hassle-free and work "out of the box"? Will the installer prompt for
> installation of needed component dependencies?

Yes. When the IDE make the package, it defines all its dependencies,
which are package names. But it means that the distribution *must*
follow a specific package naming scheme (documented in the wiki). And
I'm not sure they all do that. Someone should check!

--
Benoît Minisini