[Gambas-user] result from select can be movefirts from ODBC?

Cristiano Guadagnino criguada at ...626...
Thu May 18 00:31:28 CEST 2017

Hi PICCORO, I am a professional DBA working daily with IBM DB/2, Microsoft
SQL Server, Mysql.

First of all, let me tell you that a big effort is needed to read you
messages, because of your poor english and your writing style. I'm sorry if
I'm a bit blunt, but please... a little effort from you would be very
appreciated.
Anyway, if your native language is spanish I would appreciate if, when
speaking to me, you could add the spanish translation of your sentences...
it would help me understand better. I am italian but I know spanish quite
well.

That said, I fail to see why you're complaining about Mysql. I also fail to
see what mysql has to do with your failed efforts with ODBC. ODBC is a
protocol that tries to help developers by allowing them to "speak" the same
language to any underlying DBMS. ODBC then "translates" to their native
language. That's why ODBC cannot support (or badly supports) features that
are specific to a single DBMS system. Using a native driver, when
available, is absolutely preferred.
If your complaint is due to the fact that the only native implementation
for Gambas is the Mysql one, you have to understand that Mysql (usually in
the form of MariaDB) is available on all linux distributions and it is
free.
One other free DBMS available for all linuxes is Postgresql, but this is
not even nearly as widely used as Mysql. I would not be very surprised if,
in fact, the great majority of Gambas developers were using Mysql. What's
wrong with that?

Finally, a word about your "counting" problem. You never show the query you
need to do on your DBMS, but if you need a record count why don't you
simply issue a "SELECT COUNT(*) ..." on the db? Iterating over all the
records just to get a count doesn't seem like the best move... unless you
also need to do something on each record, obviously. Or am I missing
something?

Best regards
Cris