[Gambas-user] Pre-release of Gambas 3.10.0

Fernando Cabral fernandojosecabral at ...626...
Wed Jul 19 01:18:59 CEST 2017

"2017-07-18 19:27 GMT-03:00 PICCORO McKAY Lenz <mckaygerhard at ...626...>:

its great that a languaje has so easy to lear.. i really need the odbc
> componente to fixed due  make programs in gambas are sure for easy! the
> most easy to make its gambas
>
> i dont understand why python its so famous, i understand now! gambas not
> have enough support and vision!

Piccoro, I want to give you for free my two cents on this issue.

As I see it, Gambas is a free-to-use language. Free and "as is". *No
guarantees*. It means, take it, or leave it.

It was developed and made available by a volunteer with the eventual help
of other volunteers. So, I can't understand why you insist in saying things
like "gambas [has] not enough support and vision!".

I don't think this is a nice thing to say when you have free lunch. The
least I can say is that you should not look a gift horse in the mouth. Or,
as the Romans used to say, "Noli equi dentes inspicere donati". This can be
translated to plain English (I think) as  "don't be ungrateful when you
receive a gift.

If you need a good ODBC interface and Gambas doesn't provide it, perhaps
you can develop it yourself and make it available for other people that may
have the same need. That would be much appreciated, I am sure.

Otherwise, you can use other available libraries (I am sure there are many).
If neither is attractive to you, then you can give up Gambas and try
something different.

I think saying Gambas has not "enough support and vision" is not a good way
to obtain what you want.

Those are my two cents. After that, I'll shut my mouth up as far as this
issue is concerned.

Best regards

- fernando

> > Finally, I'd like to say how amazingly satisfying it is to work with
> > Gambas.  So far I have developed a Desktop Panel and Menu, a Text
> Editor, a
> > File Explorer and a car computer app that runs on a Raspberry Pi and
> plays
> > audiovideo and embeds NavIt, plus other projects.  I intend to upload
> these
> > to the software farm, testing permitted.  Attached is a screen shot
> showing
> > off some of these projects.
> >
> its great that a languaje has so easy to lear.. i really need the odbc
> componente to fixed due  make programs in gambas are sure for easy! the
> most easy to make its gambas
>
> i dont understand why python its so famous, i understand now! gambas not
> have enough support and vision!
>

> > BTW I have several compoments I have been working on.  How do I submit
> > them for your approval and possible inclusion in Gambas.
> >
> > One is Filebrower, based on Dirview.  It's drop in compatible with
> DirView
> > but adds two additional properties to allow the display of files in the
> > tree and to sort folders first.  It also has an added event
> > GetSpecialIcon(sPath As String, iIconType As Integer), which is like the
> > Icon event but includes a flag specifying folder, open folder or file.
> >
> > Another component is UpDown.  It is derived from Spinbar with a property
> > (Showbar) that toggles the display of the bar.  I needed a SpinBox with a
> > float value.
> >
> > On a more trivial note, I have a status bar component, based on code I
> > found floating on the web.
> >
> > the best place to put your code its a git repo, please use gitlab due
> github are close to closed source and privative software

> or

> >> Why don't you use the Show and Hide events?

Fernando Cabral
Blogue: http://fernandocabral.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/fjcabral
e-mail: fernandojosecabral at ...626...
Facebook: f at ...3654...
Telegram: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Wickr ID: fernandocabral
WhatsApp: +55 (37) 99988-8868
Skype:  fernandojosecabral
Telefone fixo: +55 (37) 3521-2183
Telefone celular: +55 (37) 99988-8868

Enquanto houver no mundo uma só pessoa sem casa ou sem alimentos,
nenhum político ou cientista poderá se gabar de nada.