[Gambas-user] How to make installation package

gbwilly at ...3606... gbwilly at ...3606...
Fri Jul 7 16:53:25 CEST 2017

On 2017-07-07 16:18, Fernando Cabral wrote:

> The target system where you want to install the gambas application on
> has

Hi Fernando,

> Willy, it does explain. Just to be on the safe side:
> a) It means Gambas iteself is not installed when we run the package
> installer, right?

It does NOT install Gambas IDE,  only those parts needed to run your
Gambas application (so interpreter, components used etc.)

> b) What do the *.deb files do? Just copy the sorce code and the
> bytecode to
> the new system?

They are the debian installer files.
They do all kinds of things like put your executable at proper location,
pull in the needed dependencies (like interpreter, components used by
your application...), make desktop menu entry, take care of application
icon and all more that is needed to make your application work properly
on the system it is installed too.

Debain determines how these files are build. They have policies (see:
https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging)

Hope this clarifies things for you.

gbWilly