[Gambas-user] Mailinglist

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at ...626...
Sat Aug 19 18:07:07 CEST 2017

Le Sat, 19 Aug 2017 16:33:04 +0200, T Lee Davidson
<t.lee.davidson at ...626...> a écrit:

> On 08/19/2017 05:42 AM, Benoît Minisini via Gambas-user wrote:

>>> Maybe its better not to rely to one vendor only. Why not switching over
>>> to a vendor for mailinglists like
>>>
>>> https://www.freelists.org/about.html
>>  I send them a request for a new Gambas mailing-list.
>>

>>> or ...
>>>
>>> make a subdomain list.gambaswiki.org and host a mailinglist by self?
>>> Thats not rocket science.
>>  Yes, but it takes time to deal with.
>>

>>> The latter is sth I could do, as I already host gambas-club.de at my
>>> hosting provider. As I can see the traffic the Gambas lists creates is
>>> not a big problem.
>>>
>>> But I'm in holliday right now.
>>>
>>> Alles Gute
>>>
>>> Christof Thalhofer
>>>
>>  OK, thanks. I will wait for your return.
>>  If anyone has ideas about how and where to host at least two
>> mailing-lists, you are welcome!
>>  Regards,
>>

> There may be reason to be concerned about the long-term reliability of
> freelists.org. They use three different free software packages, two of
> which haven't been updated in over three years and the third's website
> doesn't even load.
>
> The Gambas community might be better served by setting up Mailman at
> something like list.gambaswiki.org as suggested; even though Mailman
> setup does not, at first glance, appear simple and would take an initial
> time investment.

I'm having the same feeling about freelists.org. Not only the software they
rely on look abandoned, but I couldn't find any kind of blog/newsletter
giving
signs of life from the administrators.
The closest I could find is their "updates" mailing-list, which hasn't been
updated since 2005 !

I have looked for free & open-source mailing-list providers, but they all
seem
pretty outdated. The best I could find was https://framalistes.org/, but
their site
seems to only be in French …

However, self-hosting is another long-term investment, and requires
continuous
maintenance, so I don't think it is worth it. But if Christof can offer
that hosting (as he already hosts other lists), I think it can be a good
idea. :-)

--
Adrien Prokopowicz