[Gambas-user] Git compilation report

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at ...3340...
Fri Aug 18 21:48:30 CEST 2017

Hello Gianluigi,

Am 18.08.2017 um 20:57 schrieb Gianluigi:
> Thank you Tobias,
> so if I understand well, it's best to do this (in the git pull case
> indicate changes):
> cd gambasdevel
> sudo make uninstall
> cd
> rm -rf gambasdevel/
> git clone --depth=1 https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas.git gambasdevel

This is also bad, because to delete the whole repository on your
computer every time somthing has changed is without sense!

If it is cloned once (thats a download of about 100MB!), you only should
update it (with git pull), not delete it and clone it again!!!

With git pull you download only the couple of bytes changed since your
last clone or pull.

With Git after a clone the whole repository (all of it, the whole
history of Gambas) is now on your computer, and you can check out and
(theoretically) compile every old version of Gambas. No need to delete
the repository any more!

So you have (before compile) to decide, which version of Gambas you want
to check out of the repository, and then compile and install. This is
done by checking out a tag or branch. If you do:

git checkout master

the Gambas source in your filesystem is now bleeding edge of the current
development. Its alpha and if a developer made an error thats what you
got ...

If you do

git checkout v3.10.0

the gambas source in your filesystem is now the last stable version
(this is what I prefer).

Compiling:

As you can switch between versions so easily you always have to
uninstall the compiled(!) version of Gambas (make uninstall) on your
computer and occassionally clean the filesystem of the Gambas sourcecode
(make clean) before compiling and installing a new version.

Tobias said the commands needed for that in an answer to a mail of mine
where askey, whether "make clean" is needed:

> Usually, yes. You only have to make clean && ./reconf && ./configure if the
> autoconf files of Gambas change. One source of such a change is adding a
> new source file to (a C/C++ component of) Gambas, which may or may not have
> happened since your last pull. If you pay attention to where files changed,
> you don't have to reconfigure the whole tree (reconf-all in the root), but
> only in directories where changes occured.
>
> But if you checkout another branch it is a good bet you have to make clean
> && ./reconf-all && ./configure, because you would suspect more substantial
> changes between, say, different stable releases.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur