[Gambas-user] Christmas gift

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at ...3340...
Sat Sep 10 09:33:34 CEST 2016

Am 09.09.2016 um 17:25 schrieb PICCORO McKAY Lenz:

> many programers like REST due have free of implementation of own protocol,
> and if i want to cheap traffic, Json then definitely we will be in better
> place in terms of payload, but complexity are higher, and i already know
> that gambas its knowed by the easy of usage for programers

Please correct me if I'm wrong: REST came later and as I can see, the
upcoming of REST ist somewhat an answer to the extreme complexity of SOAP.

For a REST webservice you need a good tutorial, but not really a
framework. The only thing that is needed for REST is a router that maps
url paths to functions and sends back the result via HTTP. The result
can be anything, a file, an integer, a Json string, whatever.

Here is an example with the microframework Slim for PHP:
https://arjunphp.com/creating-restful-api-slim-framework/

A router does a mapping like this:

<snip>
> Method     URL                     Action
> GET        /api/todos              Retrieve all todos
> GET        /api/todos/search/bug   Search for todos with ‘bug’ in their name
> GET        /api/todo/1             Retrieve todo with id == 1
> POST       /api/todo               Add a new todo
> PUT        /api/todo/1             Update todo with id == 1
> DELETE     /api/todo/1             Delete todo with id == 1
<snap>

> OH MEN this will be hard to implement and made a component! too much to
> implement!?!!

My understanding: If you do REST it would be somewhat easy, if you do
SOAP it would be horrible.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--