[Gambas-user] gb.util GenUUID() function

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Nov 17 01:24:30 CET 2016

Le 17/11/2016 à 01:19, adamnt42 at ...626... a écrit :
> Every now and then I come across a need for a (locally) unique ID.
> Shelling the ubiquitous gnu "uuidgen (-t/-r)" utility usually handles
> this effectively enough. However, I am thinking that maybe this is a
> possible candidate for the gb.util component. In particular, most
> often times I am looking for the string representation of the UID. In
> which case "SHELL uuidgen TO $somevar" is all that is required.  On
> the other hand, and on somewhat rarer occasions, I need the binary
> rep of the generated UID. Now "uuid_parse" can handle that ... and
> some years ago (gb2) I had a bit of code that could call that
> routine, sadly now long lost.
>
> Anyway, if there is any interest in this, as an enhancement to
> gb.util I'll spend some effort trying to find that old code and
> adding it to the gb.util component. I'm thinking about two new
> functions here a) "GenUUID" with optional params to force the -t/-r
> options which would just shell the uuidgen utility and return the
> string representation and b) "GenUUIDBinary" that would return the
> binary version.
>
> Any thoughts? B

What is the need to add that to a Gambas component if there is a tool
for that?

Putting that in a Gambas component implies:
- Implementing a similar algorithm than genuuid, not necessarily better.
- Maintaining it, depending on what you put in that algorithm.

Moreover, you should not need to generate those uuid million times, so
the time lost in running an external process is not important.

--
Benoît Minisini