[Gambas-user] gb.util GenUUID() function

adamnt42 at ...626... adamnt42 at ...626...
Thu Nov 17 01:19:59 CET 2016

Every now and then I come across a need for a (locally) unique ID. Shelling the ubiquitous gnu "uuidgen (-t/-r)" utility usually handles this effectively enough. However, I am thinking that maybe this is a possible candidate for the gb.util component.
In particular, most often times I am looking for the string representation of the UID. In which case "SHELL uuidgen TO $somevar" is all that is required.  On the other hand, and on somewhat rarer occasions, I need the binary rep of the generated UID. Now "uuid_parse" can handle that ... and some years ago (gb2) I had a bit of code that could call that routine, sadly now long lost.

Anyway, if there is any interest in this, as an enhancement to gb.util I'll spend some effort trying to find that old code and adding it to the gb.util component. I'm thinking about two new functions here
a) "GenUUID" with optional params to force the -t/-r options which would just shell the uuidgen utility and return the string representation and
b) "GenUUIDBinary" that would return the binary version.

Any thoughts?

B Bruen <adamnt42 at ...3379... (sort of)>