[Gambas-user] Appreciation of gb.web.form

Tobias Boege taboege at ...626...
Thu Mar 17 14:53:33 CET 2016

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016, Beno??t Minisini wrote:
> Le 15/03/2016 18:40, Tobias Boege a ?crit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just wanted to note that the still highly experimental (?) component
> > gb.web.form performs very well in one of my projects. The project runs web
> > forms under gb.httpd and has a library which uses the new library mechanism.
> > Pretty straightforward to set up, and fast if you discount compiling Gambas.
> >
> > The server has run on our uni LAN for nearly 34 days with occasional visits,
> > but enough visits that I can proudly report that it has since spent mere 45
> > processor seconds in userspace. Its memory usage is still nothing more than
> > the executable and libraries.
> >
> > That is, no unusual processor activity and no memory leaks. Of course, the
> > project also does what it was programmed for. No data corruption or anything.
> > Very neat and thank you, Benoit :-) Others may want to try it out, too.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >

> Cool. I am actually stuck with the need to implement a calendar pop-up
> and a treeview.
>
> Should I continue to do that entirely from scratch, or should I try to
> use a Javascript library that already implements the needed stuff.
>
> That is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer
> the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...

I needed a TreeView, too, but decided to adapt my expectations to the
available controls (I used a WebTable with indentation instead), because
I'm not skilled enough in Javascript to even start thinking about how to
implement a TreeView.

If you have the know-how it would certainly be cool if the controls were
written from scratch. On the other hand, the GUI components also use
established widget libraries and in this light it seems like wasted effort
to write the gb.web.form controls from scratch when perfectly fine (are
they?) widget libraries do exist.

Regards,
Tobi