[Gambas-user] Console in V 3.8.4

Stephen sbungay at ...3301...
Wed Mar 9 21:11:16 CET 2016

On 03/09/2016 11:37 AM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 09/03/2016 14:21, Stephen a écrit :
>> Different is not the problem, going backwards by implementing a bad
>> design is the problem. Easier to use, faster in use, and more intuitive
>> to use, all of those are good; sadly a scrollable single line command
>> entry area with a kludge to echo the commands to the output area, is
>> none of those things.  When compared to using print statements in the
>> code it is a (marginal) improvement... an evolutionary step, the next of
>> which would be to become what it replaced.
>>
>> Anyway, my moaning about it isn't getting the code debugged, which was
>> that caused a "WTF" moment and these messages, nor is it making life
>> better by replacing what we lost. Is it (the console) written entirely
>> in GAMBAS? If I can get some time I might do something about it.
>>
> The problem was that before, some users thought that the IDE console was
> a true terminal, whereas it was just a read-only text-editor with
> tweaks. Which lead to confusion.
>
> I agree that the new interface is not very nice, but there is no
> confusion anymore that way.
>
> Moreover, it has a command history, which was impossible with the
>
> And as said Fabien, as soon as he will be able to produce a true
> terminal emulator, we will be able to go back to a terminal-like interface.
>
> Regards,

Some users being confused could have been fixed with education. The
original didn't have a command history like bash, but it did let you
scroll up, place your cursor st the end of a command and press [Enter]
to execute it again, or edit the line and execute it, or copy the line,
past it, edit it and execute it.
--

Kindest Regards
Stephen A. Bungay, Prop.