[Gambas-user] Console in V 3.8.4

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Mar 9 17:37:53 CET 2016

Le 09/03/2016 14:21, Stephen a écrit :
> Different is not the problem, going backwards by implementing a bad
> design is the problem. Easier to use, faster in use, and more intuitive
> to use, all of those are good; sadly a scrollable single line command
> entry area with a kludge to echo the commands to the output area, is
> none of those things.  When compared to using print statements in the
> code it is a (marginal) improvement... an evolutionary step, the next of
> which would be to become what it replaced.
>
> Anyway, my moaning about it isn't getting the code debugged, which was
> that caused a "WTF" moment and these messages, nor is it making life
> better by replacing what we lost. Is it (the console) written entirely
> in GAMBAS? If I can get some time I might do something about it.

The problem was that before, some users thought that the IDE console was
a true terminal, whereas it was just a read-only text-editor with
tweaks. Which lead to confusion.

I agree that the new interface is not very nice, but there is no
confusion anymore that way.

Moreover, it has a command history, which was impossible with the

And as said Fabien, as soon as he will be able to produce a true
terminal emulator, we will be able to go back to a terminal-like interface.

Benoît Minisini