[Gambas-user] About Gambas Farm

Jesus Guardon ea7dfh at ...2382...
Sun Jun 26 19:37:43 CEST 2016

Hi, Benoît et all

El 26/6/16 a las 12:40, Benoît Minisini escribió:
> Le 25/06/2016 20:59, Jesus Guardon a écrit :
[...]
>> the Farm interface
>> should be enhanced in terms of usability, such as implementing a score
>> system and a comments system.
>
> I agree for the comment system. But I disagree for the notation system
> which I found actually useless and removed.

Good to know you like a comment system.

>> [...]supervision of the published material, looking for a
>> minimum of quality. [...]
>
> As this cannot be done automatically, maybe a special "quality" tag
> could be added? Or a quality score? Or quality flags? It will tell
> people that the program follows the quality rules.

Yes, please. Perhaps a combination of some of them, explained further down.

>> [...]only a selected
>> set of them should be published after a proper quality filter. If bad
>> code is published massively, it will affect the gambas reputation in the
>> near future.
>
> I'm against filtering, except malwares. I think quality tag (or notes) +
> number of downloads should be enough for people to detect bad code.

I'm with you, except that if nothing is done in a timely manner, the
Farm will become a nightmare. We need to prevent abusing, i.e.
converting the public Farm in a private repository for someone and
maintain the quality level to a minimum, as said before. I think the
following aspects should be evaluated and shown somewhat next to the
program name:

* Naming conventions has been used
* Object names and comments are in English
* Good style of writing and organization of project
* Usefulness of code or application
* Usability and graphic design

...to name a few, but still waiting for the feedback from list members.

Perhaps a combination of tags that adds in for a number representing a
scale or level of quality...

> The farm server and farm clients need enhancements for sure. It's a
> matter of time, mainly for the farm client. If somebody can help for
> enhancing it, he is welcome : the source code is in the IDE!

That's the main reason we use free software, of course, we will try to
help the best we can.

Regards,

Jesus (on behalf of gambas-es.org)