[Gambas-user] About Gambas Farm

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Jun 26 12:40:41 CEST 2016

Le 25/06/2016 20:59, Jesus Guardon a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> Recently at the Spanish Forum gambas-es.org, we have had a vibrant
> debate about the gambas Farm and its features. On behalf of our
> Community, I'd like to forward some of the questions that deserve some
> discussion, in our opinion.
>
> Questions like "What's the actual purpose of the farm?", "Should we
> expect future changes on the farm?", "Are we making a proper use of the
> farm?", etc. are arising out of different points of view.
>
> In addition to these questions, some of us think that the Farm interface
> should be enhanced in terms of usability, such as implementing a score
> system and a comments system. I know it already has a
> download/installation counter, but it may or may not be relevant enough
> for the author. Also, a short comment from the users or other
> developers, may help to the main dev to debug his application.

I agree for the comment system. But I disagree for the notation system
which I found actually useless and removed.

> One of the most strongly discussed aspects is the convenience of a
> management or supervision of the published material, looking for a
> minimum of quality. It should serve as an example of some feature, it
> should be written using the recommended rules, variable names in
> english, have relevant english comments and good style, not to mention
> correct indentation.

As this cannot be done automatically, maybe a special "quality" tag
could be added? Or a quality score? Or quality flags? It will tell
people that the program follows the quality rules.

> While some of us think that the Farm should be open to whatever type of
> script, snippet or whole applications, others think that only a selected
> set of them should be published after a proper quality filter. If bad
> code is published massively, it will affect the gambas reputation in the
> near future.

I'm against filtering, except malwares. I think quality tag (or notes) +
number of downloads should be enough for people to detect bad code.

> We think about Gambas Farm as a showcase of good
> programming practices and as a teaching tool, therefore it should be
> enforced a minimum quality level.
>
> What do you guys think about all these questions? We would like to open
> a friendly debate about it.

The farm server and farm clients need enhancements for sure. It's a
matter of time, mainly for the farm client. If somebody can help for
enhancing it, he is welcome : the source code is in the IDE!

Benoît Minisini